Making these lil' dishes is addictive! I would love to keep making them and create a whole collection of fun shapes and sizes! They're a great gift idea and really handy to put bits and bobs in.
I have used white polymer clay, but of course you can choose any colour you like. What I love most is that you can PAINT onto the polymer clay with acrylic hobby paint! I prefer a good quality acrylic paint like Derivan Matisse Structure.
Painting polymer clay with acrylic paint before you bake it works really well - the paint is baked on and is almost ‘scratch proof’. Please see my Tips + Tricks for Polymer Clay for more information before you start the project.
1. Roll polymer clay out to approx 4mm
2. Cut around the edge of a bowl for a circle shape. You can use any shape here - make a cardboard template or use cookie cutters.
3. For lettering, set up your alphabet embossing stamps. A little ball of clay will help keep the letters from sliding in the rod.
4. Press the letters firmly into the clay
5. Gently place the cut out clay shape into the center of an oven proof bowl. Press the clay gently to sit flush with the bowl shape. Use a scalpel to clean up any wonky edges. We also dotted the rim using the skewer. Bake clay (while in the bowl) 130ºC for 1hr.
6. Pop out the clay dish when cool and sand the edges with fine sandpaper.